FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Frequently Asked Questions
Golden Rule Day - 2019
Why celebrate the Golden Rule?
The Golden Rule is ancient and modern, secular and religious, personal and common. Golden Rule Day is an opportunity for all of us to reflect on and celebrate the universal principle of treating others the way that we want to be treated. It is a powerful tool for all of our relationships – with ourselves, others, animals, and the planet. This will be a 24-hour online broadcast that will travel around the world to highlight those who are practicing the Golden Rule. The Golden Rule is powerful only when we practice it.
When is Golden Rule Day?
Since 2007, Golden Rule Day (GR Day) will be celebrated on Friday, April 5, 2019. While hundreds of organizations and thousands of people recognize April 5 as Golden Rule Day, the UN has not yet officially declared April 5 as International Golden Rule Day.
Where will GR Day happen?
GR Day 2019 will start around noon in New Zealand and travel via online webinar through all of the time zones and as many countries as possible – approximately 4 hours per SECTION:
SECTION 1: All countries around New Zealand, Marshall Islands, Australia, Japan, North and South Korea, Philippines, Indonesia, etc.
SECTION 2: All countries around China, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Malaysia, India, Pakistan, etc.
SECTION 3: All countries around Russia, Ukraine, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Turkey, UAE, Iraq, Iran, the eastern half of Africa, etc.
SECTION 4: All countries in the western half of Africa, all countries that are part of the European Union, etc.
SECTION 5: All countries around Iceland, Greenland, all of South America and Central America, Cuba, etc.
SECTION 6: All countries around Canada, Mexico and the United States, etc.
What will be part of GR Day?
THERE ARE FOUR BROAD THEMES:
1- Caring for Self 2- Caring for Others
3- Caring for Animals 4- Caring for the Planet
MANY CATEGORIES – ONE FORMAT – Everything needs to be pre-recorded
§ Young people and our elders and everyone in between
§ Every-day people and people of import
§ Short videos highlighting someone living the GR, interviews and panels, etc.
§ One person / a group of people
§ Meditations and prayers
§ Performances – songs, music, poetry, dance, rap, etc.
§ Businesses that exemplify the GR
§ Indigenous / Grandmothers / Elders / Leaders
§ Highlight the GR in action in schools, neighborhoods, cities, and so on
LANGUAGES: We are seeking Golden Rule Day submissions in as many languages as possible. We hope to keep them grouped together by language – with a host that speaks that language. GR Day Team is working out translations, subtitles, etc.
How do I submit something for GR Day?
First, fill out the content form under the “join us for 2019” tab and submit that to us.
Once you are ready to submit your content we need you to do the following:
1. Upload your content to your Google Drive or DropBox
2. Send us the link and share your content with us via: email@example.com
3. We will send you a confirmation email that we received your content invitation, and add your content to our drive.
~ FINAL DEADLINE to submit content is
SATURDAY, MARCH 16, 2019 ~
IMPORTANT: Make sure that all content is yours to share and any music that might be playing in the background is in the public domain.
Tips for getting great videos for GR DAY
As with photography, good videography requires a bit of know-how. Below are seven tips to help get you going:
1. Be prepared with all the accessories
2. Steady your hand or use a tripod
3. If shooting indoors, turn on lamps and open blinds to let outside light in. Make sure the lighting is in front of the subject, not behind it. If shooting outdoors and it's sunny, try to shoot in the morning or late afternoon when the sun is lower in the sky.
4. If shooting with a phone, hold it in the landscape mode - Vertical, not in portrait mode – horizontal. This will make for easier editing later.
5. Be careful about sound recording: Ideally, your camcorder should have a jack for plugging in an external microphone. There are many varieties to choose from, including: shotgun mikes for capturing audio directly in front of the lens; lavaliere (a.k.a. tie-clip) mikes for sit-down interviews and stand-up reporting
7. Keep a few extra shots handy. These can be used later while editing.
Who is coordinating this 24-hour Event?
Five organizations are behind the 2019 GR Day event: Charter for Compassion, Golden Rule Project, United Religions Initiative, Grandmothers’ Global Healing, and Pragati Leadership Institute. They are contributing time, staff, and energy to host this event.
GR Day is NOT a place to advertise your business or product. Also, do NOT attempt to raise money for your particular cause during GR Day. It is a day set aside to celebrate, remember, and promote the Golden Rule. Please do this in your videos. Any submissions that do not follow these guidelines will not be aired on GR Day. Also, some videos may not be shown if more content is submitted than can be shown in the allotted time on Golden Rule Day. The Planning Committee has the final say on all content.